Sunday, November 22, 2009

HW #3 Coiro article

This short article was jam packed with relevant and necessary information for teachers in our technological age.  I'll admit up front, that I printed it out.  I have difficulty reading texts on screen.  I think part of that comes from being from an era of microfishe, microfilm and newspaper research.  Also, I like to annotate as I read.

I love the poignancy of progression Coiro presents from the main page to having students  know the basics of a web site through how to synthesize online sources.  Synthesizing information is a skill that is even a challenge to do with hard copy.  I'm interested to see how it actually goes in my classes.

I agree that there is a new paradigm needed to get students (especially those who are struggling readers), to employ strategies that will empower their already self-inflicted academic deficiencies.  Even for me the article reminded me to better scrutinize sites as I run across them.

I really like the four strategy steps, and even more, the sample lessons and accompanying charts.  I have decided to use all of the strategies offered, one of which will be for the final lesson for this class.

This article was well work the wake-up call.

Thank you for having us read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment